Monday, March 10, 2008

Obama's Wyoming Win

I had to be out of town for the Wyoming caucus last week, but I hear from my peeps that the turnout in Teton County was as inspiring as in the rest of the state. Of my friends and family, some are die-hard Obama supporters, while some of us see-saw between the pulls of the two Dem candidates. My girlfriend expressed her struggle between wanting to elect a woman president and noticing that our peers are voting Obama. I've been leaning O-ward, myself, thinking that I could "get beyond gender" and vote for the candidate I trust more. But honestly, I think Hillary Clinton would do a bang-up job as prez and I won't be sorry if she wins the party nomination.

What is most exciting about Obama is the way he is galvanizing citizens -- including US, citizens of Western states.

On the day of the March 8 Caucus, Wyoming First Lady Nancy Freudenthal told the L.A. Times "This is nothing I expected... At Democratic events in Wyoming, you tend to see the same worker bees over and over. Today I see tons of new faces. This has great potential to revive the Democratic Party."

And in a recent Nation magazine blog post, Laura Flanders reported from Butte, Montana, saying that "Even from Butte, it's clear to organizers: Obama's not the savior: we are. He opens a door. We push."

No comments: