Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hormones

I was having dinner with some friends last night when I mentioned the NuvaRing, a birth control alternative that releases a steady flow of hormones, much like The Pill. I only just learned about this handy device and I'm particularly interested in it because you can make it work so you never have a period. Hallelujah! This is a Goddess-send to someone like me - a newly single bi girl, nearly 40-years-old, who plans never to have children. I mean, what's the point of menstruating for a woman like me?

But my friends, who are health-conscious sorts like me, were appalled by the idea. They find the artificial hormones to be too scary. Doctors say the NuvaRing is safe as can be. But is it a bad idea to play chemist with one's own body chemistry? I've been doing so for years with other medication so I guess I'm just not that freaked out by it.

I'm curious to hear from readers on this. Send us your hormone stories, birth control preferences, rants and raves...
.

4 comments:

Matthew Florence said...

i say just go for the chemical enhancements. i, too, have played god/dess with my own body. and i'm better for it. no ideas about hormones but other things, yes.

Unknown said...

search side effects—they include weight gain, mood swings, pain, head aches, loss of libido, blood clots, heart palpitation, death.

you'll have to use a condom anyway.

Jo on the go said...

I used the ringy-dingy for about a year. I liked that it seemed to have a lower hormone dose than the Pill because it was placed/targeted right at the area, rather than having to flow throughout my whole body. Problem was, occasionally during sex, my hubby would feel it in there and his weiner would pull it out accidentally. But if you don' t mind on occasion playing ring the penis (or other appendage, whatever you might be using) it worked great.

I did, however, use the pill in the same way continuously for years to avoid periods. I'd have a period once every four or six months just to make sure I could still have one and to "cleanse." My GYN endorsed that.

Anonymous said...

I have used the pill for two years because I have endometriosis. Boy do I not miss having a period! There may be side effects but I consider the endo. a side effect itself so what the hell! I'd rather lack libido honestly ...