Monday, August 11, 2008

In defense of bikinis?

The other night, the Cowgrrls joined up to watch the Olympics women's beach volleyball competition. I, being a sports luddite, was surprised to find that the uniform of choice for the players is a bikini. Actually I suppose it's the official required uniform. Whatever. My question is, why? They're not exactly sexy bikinis - the top looks more like my sports bra than a cleavage enhancer. And the bottom is just a little snug triangle, nothing special. Still, each time I saw one of the players tug a bikini wedgie out of her bum, I had to wonder what the advantages to this outfit are. Could someone enlighten me? What would be so wrong with shorts? Bad aerodynamics? Bad ratings?

Meanwhile, over in Kanab, Utah, the City Council has been fighting bad press about the ban on bikini's at the new town pool. These sort of paradoxes really try my feminist filosophies. On the one hand, I want the Olympians to wear something more appropo of Olympic standing; on the other hand, I want the good Mormon girls of Kanab to be free to flaunt all the flesh they care to without the town getting its panties in a twist.

Oh, if all women's issues were so breezy to puzzle over...
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are not the only one discussing bikinis at the Olympics this morning:

http://www.churbuck.com/wordpress/index.php