Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Marketing Mom's Day to Progressives

If I get one more "do it for Mom" solicitation email from one of the progressive organizations I belong to, I'm going to scream! So far, I have received Mother's Day fundraising pleas from:

1 Sky (climate change)
Planned Parenthood
Code Pink
Amnesty International
Feminist Majority

I like these organizations. I understand they need money. But I really hate it when they jump on the bandwagon of turning holidays and meaningful tribute days into "shopping" days, like Kmart or Victoria's Secret do. It's great to be part of the tribute & celebration of moms. Just don't pull on my progressive guilt strings. I don't need a tie-in to contribute -- I'm much more apt to give to a specific campaign than a feel-good exploitation of mothers.

#

No comments: