Monday, May 5, 2008

Race v. Gender redux

I wanted to share this excellent analysis by Betsy Reed (The Nation) of the way Hillary Clinton's campaign has used race as a wedge issue against Barack Obama.

Reed deftly looks at many sides of the race/gender divide -- and implicates Hillary in helping to create that divide, which was not a major issue at the beginning of the primary race. She gives voice to my own misgivings about Hillary, as well as my suspicion that some men support Obama because they are more comfortable with his gender.

The support Obama has seen in Teton County is revolutionary. Growing up here in Jackson, I heard tales of one black resident being roped and dragged on his bicycle through town. My 8th grade buddy, Colin, lasted only a year here in 1983 before his family decided it was too isolating. (I don't know the specifics about racism they faced, but I imagine it was significant.)

So we've come a long way, and I'm proud of Jackson for that. Still, in such a macho town, I have wondered if some people are dismissive of Hillary because she's female. Or perhaps the overriding issue is that her being an east coast, Washington insider doesn't play well in the libertarian-leaning West. Obama has certainly built bridges and found ways of reaching westerners along with people all over the country.

Your thoughts?

#

1 comment:

snoWYmonkey said...

This is just a gut response. But, it is my sincere hope that Obama's succes in Teton county can be attributed to the fiercely free and idenpendent thinking values shared by the people who choose to call JH and WY home. Not only, do we think or ourselves (hence a democratic governour in our republican state), but we also are not swayed by media propaganda. Granted it is harder and harder to come by factual news, yet side by side, Obama is more appealing as a leader, even if a woman president would have been a new and exciting prospect. May the best person win.